Garage Door Repair Cost
How Much Does Garage Door Repair Cost?
Garage doors are built to last, but like any working component, they require occasional repairs and maintenance.
Understanding the factors that can influence the cost of garage door repairs, as well as how long various parts typically last, can help you make informed decisions about maintaining your garage door.
What Determines Your Garage Door Repair Cost?
There’s no one-size-fits-all price for garage door repair since it’s such a broad category, but there are several factors that can affect the overall cost of garage door repairs.
Specific price ranges can vary depending on your location and the severity of the issue.
Here are some general considerations that contribute to the cost of garage door repairs:
- The type and model of your garage door – The cost of repairing different types of garage doors can vary significantly. Factors such as size, material (steel, aluminum, wood, etc.), and design complexity all play a role in determining the overall repair expenses.
- The severity of the issue – The extent of the damage or malfunction greatly impacts the cost. Minor issues like lubrication or sensor adjustments tend to be less expensive, while major repairs involving spring replacement, panel replacement, or motor repair can be more costly.
- The cost of the replacement parts – Components such as springs, cables, rollers, hinges, tracks, and opener mechanisms may need to be replaced due to wear and tear or damage. These vary a lot depending on the quality of parts and manufacturer.
- Whether you need additional upgrades or modifications – If you choose to upgrade your garage door system during repairs (for example, installing a new opener, adding insulation, or opting for a higher-quality component) the cost will likely increase.
Labor and service charges also play a role in the overall cost of garage door repair. These, too, can vary by region and complexity of the repair.
At Precision, all of our repairs include an initial 25-point safety inspection, balance test, and full inspection report, and our work is backed by an industry-leading warranty.
Garage Door Repair Cost vs. Replacement Cost
With the exception of some components like garage door panels and weatherstripping, repairing parts is usually more cost-effective than replacing them. However, if your garage door parts are nearing the end of their lifespan, we may recommend replacement.
How Long Parts Last
Here’s how long different parts are expected to last before it may be time to replace them:
- Torsion Springs: 7-9 years or 10,000-15,000 cycles for standard springs, or around 30,000 cycles for Precision springs
- Extension Springs: 5-7 years or 10,000-15,000 cycles
- Rollers: 7-10 years
- Hinges: 7-10 years
- Cables: 7-12 years
- Garage Door Opener: 10-15 years
Generally, you’ll want to consider replacement when you notice that frequent repairs are needed, even with proper maintenance.
When You Might Need a Repair
Here are some signs a repair is probably right for your garage door:
- New or unexpected noises when using the door
- The door is difficult to open or close
- The door only partially opening or not closing all the way
- The door looks unbalanced or uneven
- There’s minor damage to components like sensors or cables
If the issues you’re experiencing with your door have started suddenly and are not due to an impact or accident, you likely just need a repair.
The Value of Professional Garage Door Repair
It can be tempting to try a DIY fix to cut costs when your garage door isn’t working properly. But that’s usually not the best idea, especially when dealing with complex repairs.
Garage doors are heavy and operate under high tension, making them dangerous to work on without the proper knowledge and tools. Professional repair technicians have the training and experience to handle garage door components safely and fix them correctly the first time.
Faulty garage door repairs can impact your quality of life and lower your home’s value. Your garage door could become noisier, unstable, or pose a safety risk to you and your family.
Professional workmanship guarantees the smooth operation of every component within your garage door system. As a result, you experience reduced repair costs in the future, enhance the attractiveness of your home, and enjoy peace of mind regarding your family’s safety.
Homeowners should never attempt complicated repairs by themselves. Parts like cables and springs are very dangerous, and they can easily cause harm to you or your home if improperly handled. Call a professional technician immediately if your garage door is not working correctly.
See Our 5 Star Reviews!
Precision has been providing trusted garage door services in the Chicagoland area for over 20 years.
We take pride in using only the most high-quality garage door parts and backing up our work with an industry-leading warranty.